Revista Cubana de Ortopedia y Traumatología
version ISSN 0864-215X
JACAS TORNE, Manuel; SANCHEZ NODA, Eddy; GARCIA MESA, Norberto and PINA ARES, Daisy. A biological dressing sterilized using ethylene oxide gas. Rev Cubana Ortop Traumatol [online]. 2011, vol.25, n.2, pp. 128-135. ISSN 0864-215X.
Objective: to present the result from a preclinical research aimed to verify the sterilizing power of ethylene oxide gas on the porcine skin used as a biological dressing. Methods: two groups of 60 samples each of lyophilized porcine skin were contaminated with a strain of positive-coagulase staphylococcus and Pseudomona aeruginosa, respectively. The 25 % of samples of each group was sent to microbiology laboratory to verify the effectiveness of contamination method. The remainder 75 % was treated in different periods in a chamber of ethylene oxide gas and later, was sent to the above laboratory to verify the sterility degree. Results: it was demonstrated the effectiveness of the ethylene oxide gas to sterilize the porcine skin, which is used as a biological dressing. Conclusions: this method is safe, therefore it is appropriate to use in the medical clinic.
Keywords : ethylene oxide gas; biological tissue; sterilization.