SciELO - Scientific Electronic Library Online

vol.45 issue2Kristeller Maneuver, physical and ethical consequences according to its central charactersEctopic Intraligamentary Pregnancy author indexsubject indexarticles search
Home Pagealphabetic serial listing  

Services on Demand




  • Have no cited articlesCited by SciELO

Related links

  • Have no similar articlesSimilars in SciELO


Revista Cubana de Obstetricia y Ginecología

Print version ISSN 0138-600XOn-line version ISSN 1561-3062


VALBUENA RUIZ, Lucas A.; SANDOVAL-MARTINEZ, Diana K.  and  MANTILLA-HERNANDEZ, Julio C.. Biopsies Study of Maternal Deaths in a High Complexity University Hospital in Santander, Colombia. Rev Cubana Obstet Ginecol [online]. 2019, vol.45, n.2, e451.  Epub June 01, 2019. ISSN 0138-600X.


The incidence of maternal death is an essential item for assessing quality and coverage in health.


To describe the histological findings of 31 cases of maternal death that occurred in the metropolitan area of an intermediate city of Colombia from 2005-2018, as well as to establish their sociodemographic characteristics.

Methods: A retrospective cross-sectional descriptive study was carried out based on the review of 3 500-autopsy protocols carried out by the Department of Pathology of Santander Industrial University, which were assigned to Santander University Hospital in Colombia, between January 2005 and March 2018. We mined those in which the related diagnosis is maternal death and late maternal death, taking as reference the definition stablished by the World Health Organization.


The age ranged 14 to 40 years, average 26.7 years and media 26 years. Nine cases (29 %), reported primary basic education level and the remaining (71 %), reported secondary basic education. There were no cases reported to have university studies. The gestational age ranged 11 to 39 weeks (average 31.4 weeks), and eight cases corresponded to primigravida (25.8 %). There were 29 cases of early maternal death and two of late maternal death; 10 cases were detected to have direct obstetric causes and 21 indirect causes, 14 out of which had infectious causes. dengue was the most frequent cause.


In our environment, infectious non-gynecological processes cause the highest number of maternal deaths. Dengue is the main cause.

Keywords : maternal death; biopsy; pathological anatomy.

        · abstract in Spanish     · text in Spanish     · Spanish ( pdf )