SciELO - Scientific Electronic Library Online

vol.24 issue5Echographic and tomographic correspondence in the diagnosis of bladder cancerMyomectomy in a pregnant woman author indexsubject indexarticles search
Home Pagealphabetic serial listing  

Services on Demand




  • Have no cited articlesCited by SciELO

Related links

  • Have no similar articlesSimilars in SciELO



On-line version ISSN 1029-3019


CHAVEZ ISLA, Margarita Isabel; HERNANDEZ DINZA, Pablo Antonio; QUEROL BETANCOURT, Nodalys  and  GONZALEZ VIDAL, Damaris. Clinical, epidemiological and therapeutic aspects in children and adolescents with idiopathic hypercalciuria. MEDISAN [online]. 2020, vol.24, n.5, pp.875-885.  Epub Oct 12, 2020. ISSN 1029-3019.


The idiopathic hypercalciuria is a frequent and not very recognized metabolic disorder which clinical course depends in great extent on changes in the dietary habits from the childhood.


To characterize children and adolescents with idiopathic hypercalciuria according to the clinical, epidemiological and therapeutic variables.


An observational, longitudinal and prospective investigation was carried out in 44 patients with idiopathic hypercalciuria, assisted in the Miscellaneous Service of Antonio María Béguez Cesar Southern Teaching Children Hospital in Santiago de Cuba, from January, 2014 to December, 2015.


The symptomatic forms of the disease were the most frequent (68.2 %); also, the male sex prevailed (72.7 %) and the average age was 7.2 ± 4 years. Statistical association existed among the preschool and school ages as for the diagnosis of idiopathic hypercalciuria. The recurrent macroscopic hematuria was the most usual symptom in the majority of cases (59.1 %); as long as, the 25.0 % of patients presented renal lithiasis and the diet and liquids-based non pharmacological treatment was associated with a satisfactory evolution in 68.2 % of the affected patients, although the remaining 31.8 % needed drugs treatment.


The clinical and epidemiological characteristics of patients with idiopathic hypercalciuria of this case material didn't differ from the ones registered worldwide, taking into account that this metabolic disorder is relatively frequent in pediatric services.

Keywords : idiopathic hypercalciuria; renal lithiasis; children; adolescents; pediatric hospitals.

        · abstract in Spanish     · text in Spanish     · Spanish ( pdf )