SciELO - Scientific Electronic Library Online

vol.52 issue1Characterization of biosocial variables of the HIV/AIDS epidemic in the municipality of Plaza de la Revolución, 1986-2010Identification of health risk factors in school environments, study conducted by a nurse from a family doctor's consultation office author indexsubject indexarticles search
Home Pagealphabetic serial listing  

Services on Demand




  • Have no cited articlesCited by SciELO

Related links

  • Have no similar articlesSimilars in SciELO


Revista Cubana de Higiene y Epidemiología

On-line version ISSN 1561-3003


GARCIA DE LA ROSA, Roberto Dair; GARCIA RODRIGUEZ, Yeimi; GONZALEZ RAMIREZ, Juan Carlos  and  FERNANDEZ BENITEZ, Dayamí. Ischemic cerebrovascular disease: a priority in the municipality of Esmeralda. Rev Cubana Hig Epidemiol [online]. 2014, vol.52, n.1, pp.58-67. ISSN 1561-3003.

Introduction: in the municipality of Esmeralda, Camagüey province, 70 % of the cerebrovascular disease cases are ischemic. The remaining 30 % are hemorrhagic. Objective: describe the behavior of ischemic cerebrovascular disease at Esmeralda municipal hospital from January 2006 to December 2010. Methods: a retrospective longitudinal descriptive study was conducted at Amado Fernández Gutiérrez hospital in Esmeralda from 2006 to 2010. The study universe and sample were composed of 320 patients diagnosed with ischemic cerebrovascular disease, from whom the most important risk factors were obtained. Results were processed and analyzed using statistical methods based on indicators, percentage, prevalence rate, mortality rate and lineal regression analysis with a confidence interval (CI) of 95.0 %. Results: results are shown in frequency distribution statistical tables following analysis with the statistical software SPSS version 15.0. The predominant age group was 65 years and over, male gender (81.85 %). The main causal risk factor was arterial hypertension (91.25 %), followed by smoking (89.68 %). Mortality was higher in men (65.87 %). The highest prevalence rate corresponds to the year 2008 with 28.92 % per 10 000 inhabitants. Linear regression results show that the disease behaves in an oscillatory manner. Conclusions: the ischemic type of stroke predominated in the 65 and over age group, male gender. Arterial hypertension was found to be the most common risk factor for ischemic cerebrovascular disease, and mortality was higher in the male gender.

Keywords : ischemic cerebrovascular disease; stroke; risk factor; Esmeralda; Cuba.

        · abstract in Spanish     · text in Spanish     · Spanish ( pdf )


Creative Commons License All the contents of this journal, except where otherwise noted, is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution License